Are you registered to vote? If you are not sure, find out by clicking here.
If you are not registered, you may obtain a Voter Registration Application Form from the Township Clerk or at your local Secretary of State Office, your local county or city clerk’s office, offices of several state agencies including the Departments of Human Services, Community Health, Labor and Economic Growth, military recruitment centers or online at www.Michigan.gov/sos. Online you can complete the form and print it. Once completed you can then sign, and mail to:
Dawn LaLonde – Clerk
5576 N. US-23
Black River, MI 48721
Photo Identification Required When Voting
The Michigan Supreme Court recently upheld a Michigan law passed in 1996, requiring all voters to show photo identification when voting at the polls. The requirement became effective with the November 2007 election. Voters must show photo identification or sign an affidavit attesting that he or she is not in possession of picture identification.
Accepted forms of photo identification are:
- Drivers License or personal identification card
- United States Passport
- Military ID with photo
- Federal or State government issued photo identification
- Student identification with photo from a high school or accredited institution of higher learning
- Tribal identification card with photo
- The photo identification requirement does not apply to persons voting by absentee ballot. Voters who do not have a photo ID can aquire a state identification card at their local Secretary of State branch office for $10. State ID cards are free to individuals who are 65 or older, blind, or who have had their driving privileges terminated due to a physical or mental condition. Proof of identity and residency are required when applying for a State ID card.
For additional information about the photo identification requirement, please visit the Secretary of State Election Web Page.
Absent Voter Ballots
Absentee ballots are available for all elections. They allow voters to cast a ballot without being present on election day.
To request an absent voter ballot for an upcoming election, please call the Clerk at 989 471-2948 (Please leave a message) and you will be mailed an application. You may also click here to complete and print an online Absent Voter Ballot application.
For more detailed information on the election process in Michigan, go to the Secretary of State “Elections in Michigan” web page.